Sunday, May 3, 2009

Twitter

Twitter.com is a social networking site like Myspace or Facebook. Twitter has one simple question "What are you doing?". The key to Twitter is that you must use 140 characters or less in your response, this keeps it short and simple. I would say like a text message, just for more people to read.
Some responses I read were "Eating lunch", "going to the movies", "walking the dogs". This is nice information for some i guess, but to me it doesnt seem very important. I honestly did not see any point in tweeting. I signed up for Twitter, but i did not do any tweeting. In my daily life I see no point, I have a Myspace and a Facebook, I prefer Myspace over both Facebook and Twitter.
Twitter useful in the class? Sure it can be. Its just a shrunk blog and blogs are great for the classroom. Teachers could send out important alerts for students to read, as well as their parents as you could in a blog. Posting due dates for students would be something useful for tweeting. Posting quick fun facts for students to look up and bring to class the next day may be fun for them.
As an individual I will not use Twitter. I see no point in posting what I am doing at the moment. As a teacher, however, I will incorporate Twitter as a fun activity for the students to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment